TV star supports charity ride series exclusively for women
Davina McCall is asking women of all ages to get on their bikes and join one of three all-girl bike rides taking place across the UK this May to raise vital funds for children’s charity Action Medical Research. Called the DIVA100 series, there is a choice of three event locations – Sussex, Warwickshire and Scotland – and Davina herself will be taking part in the Sussex ride.
Photo: Lee Collier
Supported by leading bike brand Trek, each DIVA100 ride offers a choice of two stunning countryside routes – a 100km challenge or a shorter 50km course for those looking to take it a little bit easier.
Davina, presenter of The Biggest Loser on ITV1, as well as The Million Pound Drop and Got to Dance, says: “People may be used to seeing me on the telly but I can also be regularly spotted out and about on my bike. Yes, believe it or not, I’m a dedicated convert to road cycling and I’m passionate about encouraging more women to take to the saddle. I think it’s one of the most amazing cardiovascular workouts you can get and it exercises parts of your body that other exercises can’t reach!”
“Riding for charity is a fantastic motivator and the DIVA100 rides promise to be a fun day out and a great way to help such a special charity raise much-needed funds.”
Davina was coaxed back onto a bike for the first time in years for Sport Relief 2010 and last year launched the first DIVA100 ride for Action Medical Research, a charity her family has supported for many years. More than 500 women of all cycling abilities took part in the inaugural ride, which raised more than £95,000.
Cyclists participating in the DIVA100 rides raise money to help fund medical research into conditions affecting babies and children. Action Medical Research is celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2012 and has been funding medical breakthroughs since it began in 1952. The charity is currently supporting work around meningitis, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, premature birth and some very rare conditions that severely affect children.
Sarah Stevenson from Action Medical Research says: “We launched our first women’s bike ride last year and the response was so positive we wanted to go bigger and better in 2012 and give more ladies across the UK the opportunity to take part in one of our events. The DIVA100 rides are suitable for all cycling abilities and promise a fantastic day out with a great atmosphere.”
All rides are fully supported with plenty of rest stops and a fully-serviced lunch. Staff riders, first aiders and massage therapists will also be on hand.
Entry costs £28 and participants will also need to raise a minimum of £50 in sponsorship. Sign up now at www.action.org.uk/diva100
● DIVA100 Sussex, with Davina McCall, 13 May 2012, setting out from Cowdray Park Golf Club, Midhurst.
● DIVA 100 Scotland, 20 May 2012, setting out from Tulliallan Castle, Scottish Police College, Kincardine.
● DIVA 100 Warwickshire, 27 May 2012, setting out from Menzies Welcombe Hotel Spa & Golf Club, Stratford-upon-Avon.
Other News on VeloUK
- Blog: Declan Byrne returns after broken back
- News: North Road CC Kenneth Lush Memorial Cancelled
- News: Mike Cummings Glory Ride
- News: Mildenhall Cycling Club Reunion
- Team News: Cavendish leads Quickstep at Tour
- News: CC Hague Cotentin looking for Riders
- News: Shutt VR teams up with Le Mans Drivers
- Team News: CMI Greenover head to Finland
- News: Herne Hill Velodrome Track League
- News: Hannah Barnes Confirmed as Victor in London Nocturne
- News: Mike Cuming in yellow in Korea
- British Road Championships: World Stars heading for Glasgow
- Team News: Clancy’s win for Rapha
- News: Yorkshire Riders in World Record Attempt
- Team News: Cavendish leads Quickstep at Ster ZLM Toer
- News: TLI National Time Trial Championship 2013
- News: Big field for the Tour of the Fens
- Team News: Win for Laura Trott in London Nocturne
- News: Channel 4 to Broadcast StreetVelodrome Series 2014
- News: New Signing for Women’s Team
- News: Women Riders Wanted for Curlew Cup
- News: Top sprint cyclists to go head-to-head in unique Ipswich event
- News: Leicester gears up for Castle Classic bike race
- News: The George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series 2013
- Event News: London Nocturne This Weekend
- News: SYHA Blog is ‘A Biking Good Read’
- News: Team Sky signing Nathan Earle
- News: Thousands witness a festival of cycling
- Team News: Dauphine – Richie Porte: “It’s different than last year”
- Team News: Win for Boonen in Heistse Pijl