Jim Golden reports … Alan Kemp, Gareth McGuiness and Simon Bridge were the winners in the three races held on Sunday, April 22nd
Audlem were forced to find a new circuit after their regular eight mile loop was ruled out by a stop sign on one junction. The new circuit of 15 miles was by common consent a tougher one with more climbing. The Under 40’s went from the gun and splits soon appeared with a group getting off the front and this splintered on the final lap with over 40 Gareth Mc Guiness riding out of category getting away alone with chasers including former pro Dave Williams also out of category failing to catch him before the line. Jack Sadler, son of former pro Gary was first junior.
1. Gareth McGuiness, Energy Cycles A
2. Dave Williams, Kuota B
3. Mike Ashurst, Maxgear Snr
4. Mike Rawson, Maxgear U 23
5. Jack Sadler, Mountivation Jnr
6. Keith Jones, Birkenhead North End M2
Once the again the circuit split the group with Simon Bridge and Richard Barnett getting away near the end to contest a tight sprint.
1. Simon Bridge, Manchester Whs A
2. Richard Barnett, Stone Whs A
3. Keith Jones, Graham Weigh Racing C
4. David Cole, Unattached A
5. Wayne Greenhalgh, Maxgear A
6. Wayne Lacey, Stone Whs A
Once again the race began at a hectic pace but the first three mile climb to Woore failed the split the field. But first time through the finish Alan Kemp and Phil Rose were slightly off the front. As they rounded the corner after the finish, they were joined by Phil Thomas, Steve Horsey and Andy Donaldson and these five stayed away to the finish with several breakaway attempts thwarted in the final miles including the expected flyer from Donaldson.
1. Alan Kemp, Weaver Valley E
2. Andy Donaldson, Kingsnorth International D
3. Phil Thomas, Liverpool Mercury, D
4. Steve Horsey, R. Whitfield RT D
5. Phil Rose, Wheel Guru D
6. Gordon Wallace, Graham Weigh Racing D
7. Nigel Harrop, Seamons CC E