The Wetwang circuit was the venue for the road race jointly promoted by Hull & East Riding RC and Wilson wheels.
Six laps finishing at the top of Life Hill certainly took its toll on the riders and with the weather atrocious at 4C with a strong north easterly wind, the conditions made it a gruelling head wind finish. So much so, forty eight riders started with only eighteen finishers.
Four riders broke away on lap three including James Allen (Sheffrec RC), Nick Coupland (We love mountains), and Richard Binks (Clay Cross RT). These three would continue to stay away until the finish.
Coming up the climb on the final lap to the finish, Nick Coupland attacked first to be chased down by James Allen and Richard Binks, with James holding off Richard for his second win in two weeks.
Craig Gath and Tony Goundry broke out of the main bunch to claim 4th & 5th places with Darren Benedelow leading the remaining riders for 6th. It was an excellently organised race from two local clubs.
Thanks to Julie Rodman for report & results … appreciated!
1. James Allen – Sheffrec RC 2.09
2. Richard Binks – Clay cross RT
3. Nick Coupland – We love mountains
4. Craig Gath – York cycle works @2.00
5. Tony Goundry – Active / CP Cycles
6. Darren Bendelow – Clifton CC@ 2.10
7. Will Glover – Sheffrec RC
8. Sean Smith – Halifax imperial whs
9. Dean Parkes – Team Optix
10. Steve Hodgson – Moonglu RT