With the commencement of the National Circuit Series, and the resumption of the Premier Calendar, it has been a busy two weeks for the Rapha Condor Sharp team.
Despite the frenetic activity of the Halfords Tour Series being well and truly over, with the commencement of the National Circuit Series, and the resumption of the Premier Calendar, it has been a busy two weeks for the Rapha Condor Sharp team.
While the rest of the Rapha Condor Sharp riders were getting involved in the action at the Leazes Criterium, where Richard Lang scored a popular first UK win, Felix English became the second Rapha Condor Sharp rider to win a national title in 2012, when he took out the Irish National Criterium Championships.
Rapha’s Mike Cuming at the Stockton GP
English made the most of the wet conditions and technical course to attack the race hard from start, and eventually broke clear alone with twenty minutes of the one-hour race to go. English will now wear the distinctive white and green jersey throughout the summer criterium action.
Previous to English’s win in the Irish Championships, the National Circuit Series had got underway in Brighouse, with former series winner Dean Downing once again spearheading the team’s challenge with a fine second place to series rival Raleigh GAC’s Graham Briggs.
It was former Rapha Condor Sharp rider Briggs who would again take the win in the second round of the series, the Claremont Hospital sponsored Stafford Grand Prix, while Downing, caught out by a fast start and treacherously wet roads, missed the break and sprinted home in 7th on the night.
Soaking wet roads were once again a feature at the third round of the series in Stockton, in conditions described by some as the worst they had ever seen for a criterium. The racing once again got underway from the gun, with the riders on the front of the grid trying to take maximum advantage of the difficult conditions straight away.
Downing struggled on the night and instead it was the Aussie duo of Lang and Grenda, as well as Scottish National Road Race Champion, James McCallum who made sure RCS riders packed out the top ten.
In the Premier Calendar road race action, Rapha Condor Sharp played a decisive role in the Beaumont trophy, when, having only placed one rider in the large move that had slipped away from the bunch, under the instructions of team manager John Herety, the team showed impressive discipline to pull back a the 11 man move that had looked for a long time like it would survive to the finish.
The work from the ‘men in black’ proved effective enough to neutralize the break on the last lap of the finish circuits. The race came down to a bunch gallop at the end of the 85-mile race where Tasmanian Ben Grenda sprinted in to a fine 7th place, his second top ten in the series in 2012.
Grenda was again in the action at the Stockton Festival Premier Calendar, where for the second week in a row the race came down to a small bunch finish.
After a break that contained newly crowned Under 23 Road Race Champion Mike Cuming had been reeled in on the final circuit in Stockton on Tees, Grenda, along with Richard Lang, who continues to show signs great form, took 9th and 10th respectively in the penultimate round of the series.
The final round of the 2012 Premier Calendar will be the Wilton Grand Prix on the 12th of August and the team will be looking to profit from some scheduled racing in Belgium throughout July.
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Results: National 10 Championships
- Report/Results: Brooks Cycles Track League
- Results: Surrey League Handicap Series #5
- Results: Surrey League Dunsfold Park Vets Series #3
- Results: Thursday Night at Redbridge
- Report: Castle Combe Summer Series Week 4
- Results: Scunthorpe Track League
- Result: Penzance Wheelers Open 19 mile Sporting Time Trial
- Result: Oldham Century Mountain TT
- Report-Photos-Results: Tour Series – Aberystwyth (Wales)
- Report: Eastwood Strikes at Moreton Race Rd 3
- Result: President’s Trophy Handicap Road Race 2013
- Result: SERRL Evening Series Event 4
- Results : UCLAN Sport Circuit Race Series
- Result: Southborough & District Wheelers Open 10
- Result: NCRA Rockingham Raceway Handicap Series
- Report: Royal London 360 Isle of Man Youth League Round 7
- Results/Photos: Pedal Heaven Race 5 at Eelmoor
- Result: Tameside Circuit Races
- Report/Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race league
- Results: Round 7 Litherland Circuit League
- Report/Results: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Races #4
- Results: Wolverhampton Wheelers Track League
- Results: Tuesday Hillingdon Circuit Racing
- TT Result: Ipswich Bicycle Club Open 10
- Results: South West Regional Road Race Championships
- Results: Crystal Palace Crits #3
- Results: Circuit Races at Stourport
- Report/Results: Chevin Cycles Event 4
- Report/Results: Welwyn Track League
- Results: Ludgershall Summer Series, Race 1
- Results: Meadowbank Track League
- Report/Results: Raymond Brown Track League 3
- Result: Dave Astles Memorial Cheshire TLI Series
- Report: Thruxton Summer Circuits 2
- Result: GS Henley Road Race
- Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series, Round One Stoke-on-Trent
- Result: Sheffrec CC 25 mile TT
- Results: North East Division Road Race Championships
- Results: Condor LVRC Road Race
Other News on VeloUK
- News: Good result for Endura sponsored team
- News: RX Team to top 2014 Raleigh cyclocross range
- Team News: Win for Rapha’s Ed Clancy
- Photo Special: Circuit Change for Aberyswyth Tour Series
- Giro Team News: Evans holds on to second in Time Trial
- News: Critérium du Dauphiné 2013 – Arise, Sir Froome?
- News: Cumbria’s Lake District provides toughest test yet in Tour
- News: Olympic Champions for Prudential RideLondon Grand Prix
- News: Circuit of the Fens – Sunday 16th June
- News: Nunn-YB-London Racing Team Launch
- News: Pregnant Dame Sarah continues training
- Team News: Rapha Condor JLT at the Tour Series
- Giro: BMC’s Evans Assesses First Two Weeks
- News: Olympians and World Champions ride Aberystwyth Cycling Festival
- News: Johnson Health Tech GP Series is go!
- Alex Dowsett: Giro – “It’s about surviving”
- Team News: BMC’s Evans stays 2nd in Giro
- Team News: Win for Netapp-Endura in Calfornia
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling