Only a few days until Bradley Wiggins will host the first event on the Bradley Wiggins Foundation calendar, the ‘Ride with Brad’ sportive.
Taking place on Sunday 19th August, the event offers participants the unique opportunity to ride alongside the Tour de France winner.
Award-winning events company, Pennine Events, who are already well known for organising mass-participation sporting events, such as The Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool Bike Ride, were appointed by the Bradley Wiggins Foundation to manage all event logistics such as, planning the route, providing extensive ride support, running the feed stations, providing mechanical support, stewarding the event and signing the route. A large turn out is expected, so Pennine Events have also implemented a complex crowd management structure that can handle up to 8,000 people with up to 4,000 on the site at any one time.
Starting and finishing in the Lancashire town of Barnoldswick, there are two distances on offer to participants, 100km or 160km. The routes have been carefully planned to ensure they take in Bradley Wiggins’ favourite training roads as well as Lancashire’s most outstanding natural beauty spots.
On the 160km route riders will tackle many challenging climbs and descents that have featured in the Tour of Lancashire, the Tour of Britain and the National Road Race Championships. Renowned climbs such as Waddington Fell, Trough of Bowland, Nick o’ Pendle and Longridge Fell form the breath-taking backdrop to this challenging route.
The shorter 100km route misses out the northern moorland loop around the Trough of Bowland but still includes Barley Fell, Waddington Fell, Longridge Fell and the Nick o’ Pendle. A shorter challenge, but riders will still ride through fantastic scenery and tough climbs.
For those wishing to test their legs, there will be three timed hill sections included in the event (two on the 100km route), in recognition of Wiggins’ love of the mountains. The quickest overall climber in both the 100 mile and 60 mile rides will receive a signed adidas Team Sky jersey courtesy of Map My Tracks. The top three climbers on each route will also receive a free Map My Tracks PLUS account for a year.
There will be plenty of opportunities to refuel at a number of feed stations along the way provided by events partners Gatorade and CNP. The route will be fully signed and marshalled, mobile and static mechanics are provided by event partner Wiggle, who will be on hand to help should any problem occur. All this support and event management means riders can safely enjoy the ride and scenery alongside supporting the Bradley Wiggins Foundation.
On arriving at the finish line, participants will be able to rehydrate and refuel once again with Gatorade and CNP products and also collect their finisher’s pack. The pack will include a Fi’zi:k musette, Gatorade bottle, t-shirt, adidas shower gel, Lezyne tyre lever and the latest edition of Cycling Plus.
The Ride with Brad is set to be an exciting day out for all, with riders flying in from as far as Chicago to take part. Fellow British cyclist Steven Burke will also be on hand during the day. There will be plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy at the Event Village, which is located at the Start/Finish area in Victory Park, Barnoldswick. There will be a free cycle show, featuring many of the event partners, a range of retail and information stalls, circus skills and stunt displays. On-site catering featuring TV chef Aiden Byrne will ensure festival-goers do not go hungry.
CycleSport Pendle and Go-Ride will be running cycling activities for youngsters throughout the day. With Sky providing 300 yellow jerseys to the juniors taking part in CycleSport Pendle activities. Mark Sandamas, Director of Pennine Events is looking forward to the event. “We have worked really hard to ensure that the event will be a huge success,” said Sandamas. “We have taken a lot of care designing the route to ensure that it takes in Brad’s favourite training rides as well as the most beautiful routes in the area.”
He continued: “We also want the event to have a real family feel, so if you’re coming along to do the 160km or the 100km ride bring your family so they can enjoy the day too.” The money raised will go to helping the new formed Bradley Wiggins Foundation in its objectives of promoting participation in sport, supporting keen and talented athletes who have the potential to take their talent to the next level; and providing equipment or facilities to allow participation in sports.
For more information about the Ride with Brad Sportive, please visit: http://www.bradleywigginsfoundation.org/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=26
Entry to the event costs £40.
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Report: Eastwood Strikes at Moreton Race Rd 3
- Result: President’s Trophy Handicap Road Race 2013
- Result: SERRL Evening Series Event 4
- Results : UCLAN Sport Circuit Race Series
- Result: Southborough & District Wheelers Open 10
- Result: NCRA Rockingham Raceway Handicap Series
- Report: Royal London 360 Isle of Man Youth League Round 7
- Results/Photos: Pedal Heaven Race 5 at Eelmoor
- Result: Tameside Circuit Races
- Report/Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race league
- Results: Round 7 Litherland Circuit League
- Report/Results: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Races #4
- Results: Wolverhampton Wheelers Track League
- Results: Tuesday Hillingdon Circuit Racing
- TT Result: Ipswich Bicycle Club Open 10
- Results: South West Regional Road Race Championships
- Results: Crystal Palace Crits #3
- Results: Circuit Races at Stourport
- Report/Results: Chevin Cycles Event 4
- Report/Results: Welwyn Track League
- Results: Ludgershall Summer Series, Race 1
- Results: Meadowbank Track League
- Report/Results: Raymond Brown Track League 3
- Result: Dave Astles Memorial Cheshire TLI Series
- Report: Thruxton Summer Circuits 2
- Result: GS Henley Road Race
- Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series, Round One Stoke-on-Trent
- Result: Sheffrec CC 25 mile TT
- Results: North East Division Road Race Championships
- Results: Condor LVRC Road Race
- Report: Tour Series – Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire)
- Report/Results: TLI National Criterium Champs 2013
- Results: CDNW Youth League Round 2
- Results: Scottish RR Championships
- Result: Westbury Wheelers CC 24 Hardriders
- TT Result: Andover Wheelers Open 10
- Result: Stockport Clarion CC 10
- 2013 George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Race 2
- TT Result: Tyneside Vagabonds CC 45
- Results: RTTC TT Series Rd 4
Other News on VeloUK
- Photo Special: Circuit Change for Aberyswyth Tour Series
- Giro Team News: Evans holds on to second in Time Trial
- News: Critérium du Dauphiné 2013 – Arise, Sir Froome?
- News: Cumbria’s Lake District provides toughest test yet in Tour
- News: Olympic Champions for Prudential RideLondon Grand Prix
- News: Circuit of the Fens – Sunday 16th June
- News: Nunn-YB-London Racing Team Launch
- News: Pregnant Dame Sarah continues training
- Team News: Rapha Condor JLT at the Tour Series
- Giro: BMC’s Evans Assesses First Two Weeks
- News: Olympians and World Champions ride Aberystwyth Cycling Festival
- News: Johnson Health Tech GP Series is go!
- Alex Dowsett: Giro – “It’s about surviving”
- Team News: BMC’s Evans stays 2nd in Giro
- Team News: Win for Netapp-Endura in Calfornia
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling
- News: Veterans Dragon Two Day at Resolven
- Team News: Josh Williams First Win
- Event News: Albarosa Circuit Races