A strong entry of 30 riders from British-based teams is gearing up for An Post Rás na mBan which starts in Sneem on September 9th.
As Friday’s deadline for entry to the event approaches, the organisers have accepted entries from more than 80 riders from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, The Netherlands, Denmark, Australia, Sweden and Japan with by far the biggest travelling contingent from across the Irish Sea.
Welsh squad Abergavenny Road Club travel with a squad of five riders, two of whom rode last year’s race and their prominence on the British road scene with riders of the calibre of Laura Massey will make last year’s An Post Rás na mBan team classification winners a real force to be reckoned with.
The London-based Look Mum No Hands team made a big impression last year with a final stage win for former overall winner Louise Moriarty to go with the second place for Joanne McRae on the first stage. This year’s squad includes 2004 and 2008 Olympic rowing medallist Elise Sherwell, a formidable competitor on two wheels since she hung up her oars.
The Shutt VR Squadra Donne squad run by Jon Miles returns again with a five-woman line up including triathlete Karen Poole whose impressive cycling results this year include victories in England’s North Eastern Region Road race and Circuit Race championships.
England’s Molly Weaver, Beccy Hunt from Wales and Anna Christian from the Isle of Man make up the Scott Contessa Epic team which has made its mark on the British road scene in its first season and sends three riders of callow youth but no little talent for a first assault on An Post Rás na mBan.
With ten victories to her name this year, Karla Boddy brings an impressive record in regional competition to Ireland where she will head the three rider High Wycombe CC Race Team’s first attack on Rás na mBan.
The five-rider roster representing Geoffrey Butler Cycles includes up and coming junior star Adele Martin and Rás na mBan regulars Iona Sewell and Sarah Maidment.
The Scottish entry for Ireland’s top international stage race numbers four riders including Julie Erskine of Aberdeen CC whose first racing trip to Kerry comes on the back of a recent road race win in Glasgow to go with an array of other top results.
The riders face six stages in five days for over a total of 400km from September 9th to 13th. The event is based at top Ring of Kerry tourist destination Sneem Hotel.
Full details of participating teams will be announced in due course.
An Post Rás na mBan is on Facebook and on Twitter @rasnamban
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Results/Photos: Pedal Heaven Race 5 at Eelmoor
- Report/Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race league
- Report/Results: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Races #4
- TT Result: Ipswich Bicycle Club Open 10
- Results: South West Regional Road Race Championships
- Results: Crystal Palace Crits #3
- Results: Circuit Races at Stourport
- Report/Results: Chevin Cycles Event 4
- Report/Results: Welwyn Track League
- Results: Ludgershall Summer Series, Race 1
- Results: Meadowbank Track League
- Report/Results: Raymond Brown Track League 3
- Result: Dave Astles Memorial Cheshire TLI Series
- Report: Thruxton Summer Circuits 2
- Result: GS Henley Road Race
- Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series, Round One Stoke-on-Trent
- Result: Sheffrec CC 25 mile TT
- Results: North East Division Road Race Championships
- Results: Condor LVRC Road Race
- Report: Tour Series – Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire)
- Report/Results: TLI National Criterium Champs 2013
- Results: CDNW Youth League Round 2
- Results: Scottish RR Championships
- Result: Westbury Wheelers CC 24 Hardriders
- TT Result: Andover Wheelers Open 10
- Result: Stockport Clarion CC 10
- 2013 George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Race 2
- TT Result: Tyneside Vagabonds CC 45
- Results: RTTC TT Series Rd 4
- Results: East Midlands Region Road Race Championships
- Result: High Wycombe CC 25
- Results: North West Divisional Champs
- News: Final Championship Prep for Bottrill in Melton Olympic 10
- Report: South Region Road Race Champs
- Result: Beacon RCC Open 10
- RAS: Conor Dunne wins stage 1 of the RAS
- Result: Yorkshire Divisional RR Champs
- Result: St Budeaux CC 16 Mile TT
- Result: South East Road Race Championships
- Report/Result: Central Divisional Champs
Other News on VeloUK
- News: Pregnant Dame Sarah continues training
- Team News: Rapha Condor JLT at the Tour Series
- Giro: BMC’s Evans Assesses First Two Weeks
- News: Olympians and World Champions ride Aberystwyth Cycling Festival
- News: Johnson Health Tech GP Series is go!
- Alex Dowsett: Giro – “It’s about surviving”
- Team News: BMC’s Evans stays 2nd in Giro
- Team News: Win for Netapp-Endura in Calfornia
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling
- News: Veterans Dragon Two Day at Resolven
- Team News: Josh Williams First Win
- Event News: Albarosa Circuit Races
- Preview: Pearl Izumi Tour Series Coming Soon
- News: Sciandri Declines the Italian Job
- News: Lincoln GP Looking to the Future
- Team News: Win for Handley in Devon
- News: Win for NetApp-Endura in Poland
- Preview: The Stockbridge Down Road Race
- News: Eastbourne Cycling Festival, Sunday 2nd June