Participation in a break turned into an impressive solo stage win for Radioshack Nissan Trek rider Jens Voigt in the USA Pro Challenge after a break of 146km.
Jens Voigt… hero! Photo: PhotoSport International. uk usa asia.
The veteran arrived in Beaver Creek with almost three minutes lead to the next finishers and the effort by 40-year old Voigt was his first big win since stage 4 in the 2010 Volta a Catalunya.
Jens Voigt said afterwards: “Once in awhile I can almost see a video clip running in my mind that shows me how things will be. Today I was in the break and I could see it all happening. I saw myself attacking and never being seen again. I told myself ‘Go now!’ With the rain, all the uphill, the downhill, wind, whatever else was happening to make the race sticky and nasty – I knew it was affecting the others more than me.”
“It paid off in the end and I’m more than happy with this win. I was nervous until I saw the 1k to go banner but my director Lars Michaelsen came up to me then and told me I still had five minutes. So I slowed down a little bit, tried to relax and waved to the crowd. I was just soaking up the emotions.”
Voigt wasn’t the only team rider feeling strong on Thursday in the USA Pro Challenge. Andreas Klöden, 37, sprinted in for second place on the stage, an effort that moved him into the top ten on the classification at 17-seconds behind race leader Tejay Van Garderen of BMC.
Jens with only the spectators and motorbikes for company. PhotoSport International. uk usa asia.
Andreas Klöden explained: “At 20k to go we knew Jens would win. I felt good today on the climbs so I saw the chance to do a short sprint at the end. It was a little hard because it was uphill but the path opened up and I just went for the line. Our sponsors Radioshack Nissan Trek give us so much. This is only a small thing that we can give back since our season has not been as good as we had hoped. But we had good morale all day and to see Jens do such a good race today really lifted our spirits.”
“I will have to check the GC now as I look for the Saturday and Sunday stages to move up and maybe be in the top five here in Colorado.” The race continues through Sunday with the final stage an individual time trial in Denver.
Team Director Lars Michaelsen added: “It’s extraordinary what Jens did today. Only a few guys in the peloton are capable of doing this. He’s an inspiration for everybody: for Alain Gallopin and me in the car, for the young riders, for every rider in the peloton. You need the physical strength to do it but also the fighting spirit and the angriness to achieve this. After only twelve km, with just a 20 second gap, he was determined to go for it, and of course he made the right decision. This is so nice.”
True grit! Way to go Jens! PhotoSport International. uk usa asia.
Last May at the Amgen Tour of California Voigt earned a second place position in the time trial and noted that perhaps it would be the last time in his career that he’d be on a podium. Today’s effort clearly put that concern to rest.
Voigt: “I tried to make my own destiny today. I’m about 20 days short of turning 41 and I want to keep walking the walk and talking the talk. Today was a moment I could give it my best one more time. It was painful but very enjoyable.
“I think I earned this win the hard way. I knew if I had two minutes at the top of Independence Pass that they would never see me again. I was trying not to get ahead of myself and think about the win and stay focused on my ride. I did have to say ‘Shut Up, Legs!’ a few times, but I am just really happy. I call this the Indian Summer of my career, not the Winter. I still receive enormous satisfaction out of helping the boys win. I like looking after them and delivering them to the bottom of a climb in a good position. Then later when they come and say thank you to me, well, that just makes my day.”
PhotoSport International. uk usa asia.
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Report: Eastwood Strikes at Moreton Race Rd 3
- Result: President’s Trophy Handicap Road Race 2013
- Result: SERRL Evening Series Event 4
- Results : UCLAN Sport Circuit Race Series
- Result: Southborough & District Wheelers Open 10
- Result: NCRA Rockingham Raceway Handicap Series
- Report: Royal London 360 Isle of Man Youth League Round 7
- Results/Photos: Pedal Heaven Race 5 at Eelmoor
- Result: Tameside Circuit Races
- Report/Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race league
- Results: Round 7 Litherland Circuit League
- Report/Results: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Races #4
- Results: Wolverhampton Wheelers Track League
- Results: Tuesday Hillingdon Circuit Racing
- TT Result: Ipswich Bicycle Club Open 10
- Results: South West Regional Road Race Championships
- Results: Crystal Palace Crits #3
- Results: Circuit Races at Stourport
- Report/Results: Chevin Cycles Event 4
- Report/Results: Welwyn Track League
- Results: Ludgershall Summer Series, Race 1
- Results: Meadowbank Track League
- Report/Results: Raymond Brown Track League 3
- Result: Dave Astles Memorial Cheshire TLI Series
- Report: Thruxton Summer Circuits 2
- Result: GS Henley Road Race
- Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series, Round One Stoke-on-Trent
- Result: Sheffrec CC 25 mile TT
- Results: North East Division Road Race Championships
- Results: Condor LVRC Road Race
- Report: Tour Series – Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire)
- Report/Results: TLI National Criterium Champs 2013
- Results: CDNW Youth League Round 2
- Results: Scottish RR Championships
- Result: Westbury Wheelers CC 24 Hardriders
- TT Result: Andover Wheelers Open 10
- Result: Stockport Clarion CC 10
- 2013 George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Race 2
- TT Result: Tyneside Vagabonds CC 45
- Results: RTTC TT Series Rd 4
Other News on VeloUK
- Giro Team News: Evans holds on to second in Time Trial
- News: Critérium du Dauphiné 2013 – Arise, Sir Froome?
- News: Cumbria’s Lake District provides toughest test yet in Tour
- News: Olympic Champions for Prudential RideLondon Grand Prix
- News: Circuit of the Fens – Sunday 16th June
- News: Nunn-YB-London Racing Team Launch
- News: Pregnant Dame Sarah continues training
- Team News: Rapha Condor JLT at the Tour Series
- Giro: BMC’s Evans Assesses First Two Weeks
- News: Olympians and World Champions ride Aberystwyth Cycling Festival
- News: Johnson Health Tech GP Series is go!
- Alex Dowsett: Giro – “It’s about surviving”
- Team News: BMC’s Evans stays 2nd in Giro
- Team News: Win for Netapp-Endura in Calfornia
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling
- News: Veterans Dragon Two Day at Resolven
- Team News: Josh Williams First Win
- Event News: Albarosa Circuit Races
- Preview: Pearl Izumi Tour Series Coming Soon