Karla Boddy of High Wycombe CC made it a hat trick of wins in the sixth and final stage of the Women’s An Post Ras na mBan in Sneem today as Denmark’s Kamilla Vallin was confirmed as the overall winner.
Boddy’s blistering sprint finish was employed to good effect once more as the riders raced down from Moll’s Gap to the finish where the Englishwoman got the better of Fiona Meade (Munster) and Louise Moriarty (Look Mum No Hands).
Vallin controlled the efforts of Ireland’s Lydia Boylan to close the six second gap and took the final pink leader’s jersey of the event she has led since the third stage.
Her Reelight Bike Toyz Kvickly Odder team mate Amalie Dideriksen took the IVCA Queen of the Mountains Classification and the Danish squad also wrapped up team honours.
Meade, from Cork, finished sixth overall and won the Sneem Hotel County Rider Classification.
With a short 58km loop to finish after five hard days of racing on the Ring of Kerry, the action was hectic right from off in Sneem with Ishbel Taromsari (Pedal Power Racing Team) the first to try her luck off the front.
Silja Visser then went clear and opened up just under half a minute lead before she was absorbed by the bunch offering an opportunity for her Distric Team NH-WTC de Amstel team mate Riejanne Markus to solo clear.
She too was reclaimed after seven kilometres out front as the field turned left in Kenmare for the five km slog to Moll’s Gap.
A series of attacks on the lower slopes came to nought and it was IVCA Queen of the Mountains jersey holder Amalie Dideriksen that led a depleted bunch over the top of the category two ascent.
Lydia Boylan of the Ireland team was nicely paced into the climb by team mate Anne Dalton but Boylan couldn’t shake off the attentions of race leader Vallin
Dideriksen already had an unassailable lead in the Queen of the Mountains competition going into the final stage but asserted her status with top spot on the climb ahead of Lowri Bunn (Abergavenny RC) and Iona Sewell (Geoffrey Butler Cycles).
The third cat climb to Carraig na Gaoithe failed to split the group any further and Sara Ortiz of Black Road Racing decided to take her chance on the fast drop back into Sneem. Ortiz opened up a 15 second lead but the bunch were ever vigilant and by five km to go it looked certain to be decided in a bunch sprint.
Boddy is only racing for 18 months but has already carved a niche as a sprinter, a reputation she enhanced with a string of top results in stage finishes this week.
The downhill sprint favoured a long lead out and it was Boddy who fired first, opening up a narrow advantage that Fiona Meade (Munster) and Louise Moriarty (Look Mum No Hands) could not quite cancel out.
Boddy’s third win in a row to go with fifth overall made it a successful week’s racing for the Buckinghamshire rider.
Vallin, meanwhile, finished safely in the main group to rubberstamp her overall win. Having held the lead since the third stage, the 19-year-old from Denmark fought off the challenge of Boylan and cruised in for a narrow but convincing win.
Her Reelight Bike Toyz Kvickly Odder team took the overall team award while Black Rose Racing won the Irish county team award.
Top junior was Riejanne Markus with the veteran’s award going to Tonya Moran of Black Rose Racing.
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Result: Southborough & District Wheelers Open 10
- Report: Royal London 360 Isle of Man Youth League Round 7
- Results/Photos: Pedal Heaven Race 5 at Eelmoor
- Report/Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race league
- Results: Round 7 Litherland Circuit League
- Report/Results: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Races #4
- Results: Wolverhampton Wheelers Track League
- Results: Tuesday Hillingdon Circuit Racing
- TT Result: Ipswich Bicycle Club Open 10
- Results: South West Regional Road Race Championships
- Results: Crystal Palace Crits #3
- Results: Circuit Races at Stourport
- Report/Results: Chevin Cycles Event 4
- Report/Results: Welwyn Track League
- Results: Ludgershall Summer Series, Race 1
- Results: Meadowbank Track League
- Report/Results: Raymond Brown Track League 3
- Result: Dave Astles Memorial Cheshire TLI Series
- Report: Thruxton Summer Circuits 2
- Result: GS Henley Road Race
- Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series, Round One Stoke-on-Trent
- Result: Sheffrec CC 25 mile TT
- Results: North East Division Road Race Championships
- Results: Condor LVRC Road Race
- Report: Tour Series – Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire)
- Report/Results: TLI National Criterium Champs 2013
- Results: CDNW Youth League Round 2
- Results: Scottish RR Championships
- Result: Westbury Wheelers CC 24 Hardriders
- TT Result: Andover Wheelers Open 10
- Result: Stockport Clarion CC 10
- 2013 George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Race 2
- TT Result: Tyneside Vagabonds CC 45
- Results: RTTC TT Series Rd 4
- Results: East Midlands Region Road Race Championships
- Result: High Wycombe CC 25
- Results: North West Divisional Champs
- News: Final Championship Prep for Bottrill in Melton Olympic 10
- Report: South Region Road Race Champs
- Result: Beacon RCC Open 10
Other News on VeloUK
- Giro Team News: Evans holds on to second in Time Trial
- News: Critérium du Dauphiné 2013 – Arise, Sir Froome?
- News: Cumbria’s Lake District provides toughest test yet in Tour
- News: Olympic Champions for Prudential RideLondon Grand Prix
- News: Circuit of the Fens – Sunday 16th June
- News: Nunn-YB-London Racing Team Launch
- News: Pregnant Dame Sarah continues training
- Team News: Rapha Condor JLT at the Tour Series
- Giro: BMC’s Evans Assesses First Two Weeks
- News: Olympians and World Champions ride Aberystwyth Cycling Festival
- News: Johnson Health Tech GP Series is go!
- Alex Dowsett: Giro – “It’s about surviving”
- Team News: BMC’s Evans stays 2nd in Giro
- Team News: Win for Netapp-Endura in Calfornia
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling
- News: Veterans Dragon Two Day at Resolven
- Team News: Josh Williams First Win
- Event News: Albarosa Circuit Races
- Preview: Pearl Izumi Tour Series Coming Soon