Making the street your velodrome – Tewkesbury (Gloucestershire) 21 April 2013
Inno Events Ltd are proud to announce the launch a new cycling event for the UK and the first of its kind to reflect the growing public appetite for the drama and excitement of close action track cycling competition.
The Olympic Velodrome was one of the first sell out venues of London 2012. Cycle sport continues to enjoy record growth and popularity in the UK. Yet track racing remains one of the sport’s less accessible forms, with many potential riders and spectators having never set foot in their nearest venue to witness the action first hand. So why not bring the velodrome to them?
Working with Tewkesbury Borough Council and other local agencies, the first StreetVelodromeTM event will be in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire on 21st April 2013. It will be free to spectate and will pitch amateur riders against known guest pro riders in a series of thrilling pursuit races and elimination rounds.
Bringing head to head track action right into the heart of the UK’s town’s and cities StreetVelodromeTM will be re-creating the close wheel to wheel action of track racing using a temporary 250 metre course set within closed public roads and complete with two especially designed feature banked curves. Visually it will appear as though the road itself has been raised up to form the iconic banked corners of an Olympic velodrome.
Along with the energy and encouragement of the track side presentation host and a team of cheer leaders the fans lining the course will enjoy the unique opportunity of being able to view the entire course at an outdoor cycle event. Guaranteeing they will not to miss any of the action. But with the use of a specially developed StreetVelodromeTM Fan’s App available for both Apple and Android devices, the crowd lining the course can engage in the racing like never before.
Choosing to support one of two opposing teams of riders, fans trackside are set to receive handfuls of goodies thanks to the enthusiastic cheer leaders if a rider from their team wins his race. Using the StreetVelodromeTM Fan’s App spectators can vote for their favourite of the 24 competing riders; try to predict the overall winner for a chance to win a prize draw; follow links to live event social media and even send messages to be read out by the race host. But critically at the end of each round of this action packed knock out tournament on wheels the fan’s vote will bring one eliminated rider right back into the competition as the Fan’s Wildcard.
The event offers a great range of sporting and commercial benefits, including:
• Free event offering a range of attractions for families, cycling fans and local communities.
• A local schools programme leading up to the event
• Go-Ride sessions for kids during the build up to the racing.
• Trackside event expo / market arena offering cycle and non-cycle related attractions.
• Providing a boost town centre Sunday trading retail / leisure and tourism.
• Local interest as local amateur riders compete against national pro-riders
• Local, regional and national media interest
• Increasing access to the close exciting nature of track cycling
• Promoting cycling as a sport and leisure activity
The initial event on 21st April 2013 is being developed in close partnership with Tewkesbury Borough Council and other local agencies. The custom designed banked corners have been developed with a leading cycle ramp specialist to ensure they are fast yet safe. Held on a Sunday, the day will start with the highly skilled Inno Events live events team building the track complete with banked corners, barriers, timing equipment, PA system and expo arena. From 0800hrs amateur riders will be able to register and practice on the circuit.
The action kicks off at 10.00hrs with a 500 metre individual time trial to select the best amateur riders to face the guest pro riders in the elimination rounds later in the afternoon and ultimately the final. Sandwiched between these will be the school sports development events run in partnership with the local authority. The finals will be run at 16.00hrs with the event closing by approximately 17.00hrs.
Inno Events Ltd intend to take StreetVelodromeTM across the country with the support of commercial partnerships and sponsors.
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Report/Results: Reading Track League Round 8
- Results: LVRC Circuit Race Champs
- Result: London West DC 10
- Report/Results: Mid-Summers Open Cycle Track Meet
- Result: Lancaster CC Open 10
- Results: George Samuel Memorial Crit Series 3
- Result: British Emergency Services 10 & 25m TT Championships
- Results: Gateshead College Circuit Race Series 1
- Result: Women & Vets Road Race (Scotland)
- Results: Towy Riders Circuit Races
- Results: Solihull CC Youth Races
- Result: Redgrave Road Race
- Results: Colchester Rovers Grass Track Meeting
- Results: Knowsley Youth Omnium
- Photos & Results: Poole Wheelers Youth Omnium
- Report/Result: Junior National Series
- Report/Result: Sunderland Clarion Open 25
- Results: Derby Mercury Open 25
- Result: Ferryhill Wheelers CC 20 mile SPOCO TT
- TT Result: Border City Wheelers 50
- Result: Hartlepool CC 10
- Result: Richmond Park TT
- Result: Women’s CDNW ‘Surf and Turf’ Weekend
- Report: 2013 Circuit of the Fens
- Result: CDNW ‘Surf and Turf’ Men’s Stage Race
- Report/Results/Photos: Omega Winchester Circuits
- Result: CDNW ‘Surf and Turf’ Weekend – Stage 3
- Results: Darley Moor Circuit Races 3
- Result: N & DCA ’15′
- Result: WTTA 100
- Result: Castle Combe Summer Series Week 7
- Result: City Road Club Summer Road Race
- Result: Hugh Dornan Memorial
- Result: Stafford Road Club Grand Prix
- Result: Hemel Hempstead CC 25 mile time trial
- Results: Janus RC Fred Gratton Memorial 25
- Result: Preston Park Youth Track Omnium 2013
- Result: Lincs RRA 50
- Report/Results: Elveden Road Race series
- Results: CC London Crit Series Race 3
Other News on VeloUK
- Blog: Declan Byrne returns after broken back
- News: North Road CC Kenneth Lush Memorial Cancelled
- News: Mike Cummings Glory Ride
- News: Mildenhall Cycling Club Reunion
- Team News: Cavendish leads Quickstep at Tour
- News: CC Hague Cotentin looking for Riders
- News: Shutt VR teams up with Le Mans Drivers
- Team News: CMI Greenover head to Finland
- News: Herne Hill Velodrome Track League
- News: Hannah Barnes Confirmed as Victor in London Nocturne
- News: Mike Cuming in yellow in Korea
- British Road Championships: World Stars heading for Glasgow
- Team News: Clancy’s win for Rapha
- News: Yorkshire Riders in World Record Attempt
- Team News: Cavendish leads Quickstep at Ster ZLM Toer
- News: TLI National Time Trial Championship 2013
- News: Big field for the Tour of the Fens
- Team News: Win for Laura Trott in London Nocturne
- News: Channel 4 to Broadcast StreetVelodrome Series 2014
- News: New Signing for Women’s Team
- News: Women Riders Wanted for Curlew Cup
- News: Top sprint cyclists to go head-to-head in unique Ipswich event
- News: Leicester gears up for Castle Classic bike race
- News: The George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series 2013
- Event News: London Nocturne This Weekend
- News: SYHA Blog is ‘A Biking Good Read’
- News: Team Sky signing Nathan Earle
- News: Thousands witness a festival of cycling
- Team News: Dauphine – Richie Porte: “It’s different than last year”
- Team News: Win for Boonen in Heistse Pijl
- Sportive: Stockton Velo29-Altura Endeavour (6th July)
- News: Bradley Wiggins unable to race
- News: Endura sponsored team races Dauphiné
- News: Draper Royal London 360′s Rider of the Month
- News: Places still available at Youth Races at Otley
- Team News: Clancy romps to second Tour Series win
- Tour Series: Great comeback by Alex Blain
- Tour Series: Dean Downing denied a win in Torquay
- Tour Series: Yanto Barker – Team prize the priority
- News: Circuit of the Fens National A RR