Darren Atkins and Hannah Payton winners in round 5 of the Waldrons WMCCL, the Elmdon Cyclo-Cross promoted by Solihull CC on Sunday 21 October
Round 5 of the Waldrons West Midlands Cyclo-Cross League (promoted by Solihull CC) took place at Elmdon Park near Birmingham Airport on Sunday 21 October. This popular cyclo-cross venue (with its open grassland and tricky woodland sections) showed its evil side as the saturated ground turned to strength-sapping, slippery mud.
The main (Senior/Veteran 40+) race was won in stunning style by Darren Atkins, (MI Racing Jewson) who started with the Vets nearly a minute behind the Senior riders, but caught and passed them all – finishing well ahead his younger rivals.
The early pace was set by Tom Payton (Isla Bikes), Lee Westwood (Torq Fitness), Perry Bowater (ASFRG) and Joe Fox (Rapha Condor), but by Lap 3, Darren Atkins had caught all but Tom Payton, and by Lap 4, he was establishing a lead that would grow to 36 seconds by the finish.
The Junior/Women/Vet 50+ race was led virtually from the off by local rider Danny Fox (RST/Trigon). Danny was hotly pursued for a few laps by Luke Markham (Rugby Velo). In spite of their undisputed bike-handling skills, both of them elected to run a muddy wooded section that has been rideable in previous years. Eventually Danny distanced Luke for a convincing win.
The Women’s race was won by Hannah Payton (Stourbridge Velo), who finished nearly two minutes ahead of Bethany Crumpton (Halesowen).
The first Vet 50+ was Pete Harris (Team Pearce Cycles), who put on a master-class of how to ride in slippery conditions. He was followed in 27 seconds later by Mike Welburn (Lichfield City) and by Nigel Hay (Pedal Power Loughborough) after another 29 seconds.
The Youth race was a dead-heat! Neither the electronic chip timing nor the line judges could separate Anthony Neave (Stourbridge) and Louis Kilworth (Welland Valley in their sprint to the line. So both of them will be awarded maximum league points. Alistair Williams (Redditch) came in third 53 seconds later.
First Under-14 was the remarkable Harry Yates (Lichfield), who finished 6th overall and over two minutes ahead of the next Under-14 rider – Jake Stewart from the promoting club Solihull CC. Toby Barnes (Lichfield) was third.
Charlotte Broughton was the Under-16 Girl winner. She finished a lap ahead of Maisie Duckworth (Wolverhampton Whs) second and Ria Mobbs (Welland Valley) third. Lucy Nelson (Halesowen) was first Under-14 girl – beating Amy Garner (Welland Valley) by 36 seconds.
In the Under-12 race, Lewis Askey (Lichfield City) extended his strangle-hold on the League standings with another convincing win. But Lewis’ was separated from his team mate Daniel Barnes by Jamieson Blaine (Halesowen). Fast-improving Rachel Mayhew, from the host club, was first girl, with Josie Nelson (Halesowen) second and Mali Jones (Mid-Shropshire Whs) third.
Alex Coleston-Shields (Lichfield City) won the Under-10 race, beating his team mate Ben Askey by 12 seconds, with Matt Garner (Welland Valley) third. Lichfield City achieved the double when League-leader Erin Staite came in as first Under-10 girl. Lala Blaine (Halesowen) was second and Millie Geldard (Lichfield) third.
First Under-8 boy was Reece Edgington (Lichfield City). Luke Harris (Halesowen) was second and Ruben Snelson (Team MK) was third. First Under-8 girl was Cerys Simmons (Stratford) from Fay Garner (Welland Valley) and Grace Styler (Halesowen).
All of the above results are provisional. Gary Rowing-Parker, Race Organiser, Solihull CC
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Results: Hog Hill Summer Series 2
- Result/Report: NCRA Rockingham Raceway Handicap Series: Race 2
- Report/Results: Ciclos Uno Summer Series #1
- Results: Abbeygate Developments/Corley Cycles Summer Series Races
- Report/Results: Brooks Cycles Track League
- Results: Wolverhampton Wheelers Track League
- Result: Mallory Park Thursday League 5
- Results: Castle Combe Week 3
- Results: Lotus Cars Cycle Racing League Race 2
- Results: CDNW UCLanSport Circuit Race Series
- Report: Debut Win for Cox! Moreton Race 2
- Report: NYRRL event 1 Bishopswood Selby
- Report/Results: Royal London 360 Youth League Round 6
- Report/Photos! Tour Series – Durham (North East)
- Results: InGear Trainsharp Dunsfold Series
- Results: Litherland Circuit League
- Result: BEC CC Road Race
- Results: Behind The Bikeshed’s Summer Circuits 1
- Result: Hillingdon Tuesday Night League
- Result: Old Portlian CC Open 10
- Results: Border City Wh CC Hilly 22
- Report: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Race #3
- Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race Series
- Result: Yorkshire 10 Champs
- Results: Knowsley Track League (10th May)
- Reading Track League – Round 4
- Report/Results: Ciclos Uno Spring Criterium Series
- Result: Stratford CC Open 10
- Results: Tameside Tuesday Night Circuit Races
- Report: Chevin Cycles Evening League
- Report/Results: Tour Series – Kirkcaldy (Scotland)
- Result: Charlotteville Open 50
- Result: University of Birmingham CC Open 10
- Results: Surrey League Road Race (Newick)
- Result: Brenig Road Race 2013
- Result: George Greaves Memorial Road Race
- Results: Mid Shropshire Wheelers Circuit Races 3
- Result: Surrey League RR League (Elstead)
- Result: North Norfolk Wheelers 100
- Report: 2013 NMRRL at Torworth
Other News on VeloUK
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling
- News: Veterans Dragon Two Day at Resolven
- Team News: Josh Williams First Win
- Event News: Albarosa Circuit Races
- Preview: Pearl Izumi Tour Series Coming Soon
- News: Sciandri Declines the Italian Job
- News: Lincoln GP Looking to the Future
- Team News: Win for Handley in Devon
- News: Win for NetApp-Endura in Poland
- Preview: The Stockbridge Down Road Race
- News: Eastbourne Cycling Festival, Sunday 2nd June
- News: Team NetApp – Endura wildcard for Vuelta
- Feature: Bottrill’s Top 5 Training Sessions
- This Weekend: Tour of Italy
- News: Peter Kennaugh to ride Lincoln
- News: Shutt Velo Rapide Sponsors Three Days of Bedford
- Talkingshop: Cavendish talks Giro
- News: RTTC National 25 mile Time Trial Championship 2013
- News: London 2012 legacy venue seeks world class manager