Michael Cotty won the STFC RAL Cyclo-Cross on Sunday 28th October in Round 7 of the Wessex Cyclo-Cross League in South Oxfordshire
Report/Photos: Graham Robins
Michael Cotty (Wheelbase/Cannondale) lead from start to finish taking a comfortable win in the progress ahead of Adrian Lansley (Pedal On) by a minute. The two leaders were in turn well clear of third place Paul Lloyd (Rides on air) on the chilly afternoon in South Oxfordshire.
Round seven of the league saw the riders and supporters at the Rutherford Appleton Labs on the side of the hill side surrounding the establishment, with the event promoted by Swindon Road Club.
After the overnight wind and rain, the chalky ground was firm and very fast and despite a small shower during the youth race, the top surface wasn’t too slippery, and it was chilly on the exposed hill side.
Once the first lap came to an end, Michael and Adrian were clear of Michael Guildford (Silva/Craft), Dan Lewis (RAF CA), Paul Lloyd (Rides on Air) and league leader Ian Legg (Primera Specialized).
On the next couple of laps while Michael consolidated his lead, there were changes behind Adrian going on. Paul and Dan were now having a good tussle while Chris Minter was slipping through the field and soon was running in fifth place.
With three laps to go Michael put in a fast lap trying to break the elastic to Adrian and he soon had extended the lead to 20 seconds with the race for third between Paul and Dan now back at one minute thirty five seconds. Chris Minter was still gaining time but now he was alone in fifth place a further forty second back. At the bell Michael’s lead was now forty three seconds over Adrian with Paul now just edging it over Dan by twenty seconds but they were over two minutes thirty behind the leaders.
1st Michael Cotty Wheelbase Cannondale
2nd Adrian Lansley Pedal On
3rd Paul Lloyd Rides on Air
4th Dan Lewis RAF CA
5th Christopher Minter Pedal On
Once the race got underway, Steve and Mike pulled away from a group containing Sean Williams (Wightlink/Offshore), Lewis King (Beeline Cycles), and junior pair Harvey Lowe and Matt Woods (Hargroves Cycles) who were ahead of Dave McMullen (GWR Team).
Whilst Matt Woods dropped away, Dave had a mechanical which in turn left Sean on his own with Harvey 20 seconds back. The nature of the twisty up and down course meant riders could gauge where they were on the course and Sean put in a big effort but he had either left his effort too late or run out of laps as he finished the stronger rider but was unable to close the gap to the leaders.
As the two leaders came over the knife edge leading to the finish section, Steve had a couple of seconds on Mike but once through this section, Steve was ten seconds clear and it was he who rode to a solo win.
Tamina Oliver (Hargroves Cycles) was a clear winner of the women’s race finishing 17th overall from Sarah Woods (Wightlink Offshore) with local girl Laura Cooper (Didcot Phoenix) third.
Harvey Lowe (Hargroves Cycles) was the first junior a couple of places ahead of team mate Matt Woods with Callum Haseler (Cotswold Veldrijden) in third.
1st Steve Davies South Fork Racing
2nd Mike Simpson GS Henley
3rd Sean Williams Wightlink Offshore
4th Harvey Lowe Hargroves Cycles and first Junior
5th Lewis King Beeline Cycles
The youth race earlier was hampered by a light shower but it didn’t put off Chris Rothwell (Swindon RC) as the soon took control of the race and eased out a large gap as he powered up the climbs while others had to run up. The only other rider who managed to match his speed was Edward Gronbech (Oxford City RC) but he slipped backwards lap on lap.
The climbs soon took their toll on the others as large gaps soon appeared with each rider riding on their own. Behind Chris and Edward were Jack Saunders (Swindon RC) and Dan Tuley (Chapel tri Stars) but these two were now nearly two minutes down. The girl’s race was won by Ciara Hutchinson (Swindon RC), who finished clear of team mate Rhianna Jones who in turn was ahead of Sister Seren Jones.
1st Chris Rothwell Swindon RC
2nd Edward Gronbech Oxford City RC
3rd Jack Saunders Swindon RC
4th Elliott Lassiter Swindon RC
5th Dan Tuley Chapel tri Stars
The morning got underway with the now usual large entry (37) from the under 12’s. The three usual front runners Jay Allen, Angus Hawkins (PPV) and Harry Dridge (Southdown Velo) soon had a lead on the extended course designed to split up the race.
Whilst these three run together for much of the race it was Angus that made the first mistake and he let Harry pass but on the next lap the young rider caught and passed him again to regain the place. Jay was enjoying a clear path as he scythed the slower riders taking his time to pick his passing moves.
There was an interesting race going on between with the girls with Alderney Baker (Southdown Velo), Anna Wadsworth ,Alexa Hawkins and Maddie Wadsworth (Palmer Park),all running quite close together. Alderney won out in the end with all four girls finishing in the top eight places.
1st Jay Allen Palmer Park Velo
2nd Angus Hawkins Palmer Park Velo
3rd Harry Dridge Southdown Velo
4th Rowan Turner unattached
5th Alderney Baker Southdown Velo
6th Anna Wadsworth Palmer Park Velo
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Results: SERRL Evening Series Event 3
- Result: Surrey League Dunsfold Park 4ths Series
- Results: Hog Hill Summer Series 2
- Result/Report: NCRA Rockingham Raceway Handicap Series: Race 2
- Report/Results: Ciclos Uno Summer Series #1
- Results: Abbeygate Developments/Corley Cycles Summer Series Races
- Report/Results: Brooks Cycles Track League
- Results: Wolverhampton Wheelers Track League
- Result: Mallory Park Thursday League 5
- Results: Castle Combe Week 3
- Results: Lotus Cars Cycle Racing League Race 2
- Results: CDNW UCLanSport Circuit Race Series
- Report: Debut Win for Cox! Moreton Race 2
- Report: NYRRL event 1 Bishopswood Selby
- Report/Results: Royal London 360 Youth League Round 6
- Report/Photos! Tour Series – Durham (North East)
- Results: InGear Trainsharp Dunsfold Series
- Results: Litherland Circuit League
- Result: BEC CC Road Race
- Results: Behind The Bikeshed’s Summer Circuits 1
- Result: Hillingdon Tuesday Night League
- Result: Old Portlian CC Open 10
- Results: Border City Wh CC Hilly 22
- Report: Solihull CC No Frills Circuit Race #3
- Results: Vanillabikes.com Circuit Race Series
- Result: Yorkshire 10 Champs
- Results: Knowsley Track League (10th May)
- Reading Track League – Round 4
- Report/Results: Ciclos Uno Spring Criterium Series
- Result: Stratford CC Open 10
- Results: Tameside Tuesday Night Circuit Races
- Report: Chevin Cycles Evening League
- Report/Results: Tour Series – Kirkcaldy (Scotland)
- Result: Charlotteville Open 50
- Result: University of Birmingham CC Open 10
- Results: Surrey League Road Race (Newick)
- Result: Brenig Road Race 2013
- Result: George Greaves Memorial Road Race
- Results: Mid Shropshire Wheelers Circuit Races 3
- Result: Surrey League RR League (Elstead)
Other News on VeloUK
- Team News: Fourth win in 2013 Giro for Cav
- Team News: Shutt-sponsored Squadra Donne racing GP series
- News: Wiggins abandons Tour of Italy
- News: 100th Victory for Mark Cavendish
- Team News: House at Home in Durham Tour Series
- News: Scotland Gearing Up for ‘Grand Depart Weekend’
- Team News: Solid Start for Rapha
- New Event: Hafren CC Road Race, Mid Wales
- Team News: Bobby Julich Consultant For BMC
- News: Magpas Cambridge Cycle Challenge Sportive
- News: Gas Hill Gasp Returns
- News: Scottish Road Championships
- News: George Samuel Memorial Hove Park Crits Series
- News: Riders go for Gold at Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- News: Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series calendar amended
- News: Kalas Cup
- Tour Series: Riders & Teams
- Team News: Tom Boonen Returns to Racing in Tour de Picardie
- News: East London Velo’s Races
- News: Racing returns to Elveden this weekend
- News: Jon Norfolk lead coach for GB Paracycling Team
- News: Thoresby Park Festival of Cycling
- News: Veterans Dragon Two Day at Resolven
- Team News: Josh Williams First Win
- Event News: Albarosa Circuit Races
- Preview: Pearl Izumi Tour Series Coming Soon
- News: Sciandri Declines the Italian Job
- News: Lincoln GP Looking to the Future
- Team News: Win for Handley in Devon
- News: Win for NetApp-Endura in Poland
- Preview: The Stockbridge Down Road Race
- News: Eastbourne Cycling Festival, Sunday 2nd June
- News: Team NetApp – Endura wildcard for Vuelta
- Feature: Bottrill’s Top 5 Training Sessions
- This Weekend: Tour of Italy
- News: Peter Kennaugh to ride Lincoln
- News: Shutt Velo Rapide Sponsors Three Days of Bedford
- Talkingshop: Cavendish talks Giro
- News: RTTC National 25 mile Time Trial Championship 2013
- News: London 2012 legacy venue seeks world class manager