Karla Boddy of High Wycombe CC took her second win in succession on stage five of An Post Ras na mBan today as Denmarkâ€™s Kamilla Vallin consolidated her lead in the general classification over Lydia Boylan (Ireland).
Boddy led in a nine-rider group that prevailed on the 95km An Post ‘Queen’ stage which included the climbs of Ballaghabeama, Ballaghasheen and Coomaciste.
Boddy just pipped Fiona Meade of the Munster team in the sprint to the line in Sneem with race leader Kamilla Vallin (Reelight-Bike Toyz) in third.
Vallin, from Denmark, retains the overall lead by six seconds from Lydia Boylan (Ireland).
Amalie Dideriksen of Reelight-Bike Toyz took over the lead of the IVCA Queen of the Mountains classification from SiobhÃ¡n McNamara (Look Mum no Hands) after taking top points on all three classified climbs.
The Sneem Hotel County Rider jersey passed from Louise Moriarty, who missed the winning selection on the first climb of the day, to Fiona Meade who now has a 44 second lead over McNamara in the prestigious competition for local riders.
There was drama before the start when double stage winner and third-placed rider Femke Van Kessel (NWVG Bike 4 Air-Dames) was forced to pull out through illness.
Dideriksen led over the top of the daunting Ballaghabeama from Lowri Bunn and Vallin. Boddy made a huge effort to get across to the leaders on the descent and on the run to the slopes of Ballaghasheen by which time the nine rider selection had been made as the main group languished more than a minute in arrears.
Dideriksen and Bunn were once more to the fore on the second category one climb of the day with Bunnâ€™s Abergavenny RC team mate Laura Murray next over.
By the time the riders made it to the final climb of the day at Coomaciste on 68km, Boylan was ready to test the legs of race leader Vallin with a series of stinging attacks which stretched the group but failed to snap the elastic.
Dideriksen was headed over the top by Mountains Classification leader Siobhan McNamara but the latter was adjudged to changed her line in the sprint for the top and the standard one-minute time penalty was applied.
The upshot is that Danish junior rider Dideriksen now has an unassailable 17-point lead in the ICVA Queen of the Mountains competition with just tomorrowâ€™s stage to go.
Boylan tried to find a way clear of Vallin in the run in to Sneem and the race leader herself tried a speculative attack with just over a kilometre remaining but the group was intact as the sprint began.
Meade briefly found a way past Boddy but the latter kicked again in the closing metres to record her second victory in succession with Vallin retaining enough energy for third at the end of a hectic dayâ€™s racing.
Tomorow’s Bracken Clinic final stage is a 58km circuit starting and finishing in Sneem including the second category climb of Molls Gap and the third category ascent of Carraig na Gaoithe.
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- DePanne: Stage 2 win for Kristoff
- Report/Result: CTT Classic TT Series – Wessex
- Week 2: Dolan Youth Circuit Races
- Result: Darley Moor Circuit Races 3
- Result: Premier Manchester Track League
- Report: 3 Days of DePanne – Day 1
- Result: Chelmer CC Hardriders
- Result: Surrey League Road Race 3
- Result: Lancaster Saturday Circuit Races
- Result: Middlesbrough Saturday Crits 4
- Result: Seacroft Wheelers Road Races
- Result: Preston Park Races 6
- Result: SERRL Road Races
- Result: Rhos on Sea Spring Series 2
- Result: Bristol Women’s Road Race
- Report: Sam Walton Trophy
- Result: Cramlington CC 18
- Result: Teesdale CRC Sporting 21
- Top 10: Ballantyne Memorial RR
- Result: Tricycle Association NW Trikes TT
- Top 10: NCRA Spring Handicap Series 4
- Top 10: Fenwick Masters Road Race
- Result: Manchester BC/Wills Wheels CC two stage RR
- Result: First Manchester Regional Track League
- Report: Tour of Taiwan Stage 2
- Result: MK Bowl March Races 4
- Result: Ythan Valley 2017 APR
- Result: Scorpion CS Road Race
- Result: 2017 Western Time Trials Association Hilly Time Trial
- Result: Coalville Wheelers CC Open 10
- Results: Youth National Series
- Valverde Dominates Catalyuna with third stage win
- Result: Ilkley CC Sporting 10
- Result: Common Lane Occasionals Sporting 17
- Report/Result: Gent Wevelgem
- Result: Rhino Velo Race Team Hilly 21
- Result: Border City Whs Sporting 20
- Top 10: Southern Counties CU 10, Saturday
- Top 10: Southern Counties CU 25
- Top 10: Plomesgate CC 10 TT
Other News on VeloUK
- Startsheets: Tour Of The Wolds 2017
- News: 3rd Chorley Grand Prix
- This Weekend: Team Series Round 2
- News: Gaviria focuses on Giro d’Italia
- Van Avermaet confident ahead of Tour of Flanders
- Team News: Orica Backing Simon Yates this Weekend
- News: Klondike Grand Prix
- Q & A: Cleethorpes Super Prix Organiser Richard Stoodley
- Womens Teams for Tour Series Named
- Kittel to Race Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde
- Report: Tour of Taiwan Stage 2
- News: CiCle Classic Getting Popular
- News: Storey Racing Team Launch
- News: Quickstep to E3 Harelbeke
- News: Belgian CX Project
- News: Onimpex Bioracer SpoCo TT Series
- News: Aberystwyth Crits 2017
- Report: Dwars Door Vlaanderen
- Feature: Bioracer Aero Virtual Wind Tunnel
- Preview: Classic Time Trial Series 1
- Team News: Contador Happy with TTT
- News: Van Avermaet Back Home to Race
- Teams Revealed for Tour de Yorkshire
- Team Bikes: Madison Genesis
- Feature: Glenn Longland signs Golden Book
- Team News: Madison Genesis at Normandy
- Team News: Quickstep to Catalunya
- On Now: Milan San Remo
- News: 2017 ORRO Tour of Sussex
- News: Carthy rides Catalunya for Cannondale Drapac
- The story behind ‘THRE Datawolves Racing Team’
- Feature: MSR ‘race of many outcomes’
- Starts Today: Mallorca Six Day
- News: Racing on the road
- News: Van Avermaet Targets Milan-SanRemo Podium
- News: Quickstep for Milano-Sanremo
- News: Shropshire team put in the miles
- News: New Team in Hertfordshire
- This Weekend: 58th Wally Gimber Trophy
- Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 6