A look at the courses for the British Road Championships in Wales in June where the Men’s and Women’s champions in road race and time trial will be crowned.
Feature – Tough courses for British Road Race Championships
This June, the world of cycling will descend on Abergavenny and Newport for the British Road Championships and the organiser, Bill Owen has come up with some tough â€˜sportingâ€™ courses for both the road race and the time trial.
Ian Bibby has a dig on the finishing circuit climb looking to break clear last year.
We will have more details on the courses in the near future but for now, we have some high res imagery of the maps and profiles (see below) as well as a quick taster after talking to Metaltek manager Dave Povall, a local who knows the roads well.
The over riding message from Dave was that anyone who thinks because the course doesnâ€™t include the Tumble that it will be easy, better think again and that no-one should underestimate to the tough courses Bill Owen has come up with.
Above: The finishing circuit and profile. Click the photo to display a high res version. When displayed, right click and save image to disc and view as a bigger image with more detail.
With a lot of help from the Monmouthshire Council , Bill Owen has come up with courses that will certainly see a deserving champion. The time trial for example will have some stiff climbing in it around the Celtic Manor service roads. I have heard figures of 25 or 28 per cent climbs (the organiser says more like 1 in 7 LoL) and the men will have two laps of it.
A third of the time trial is the grounds of the Celtic Manor on new roads that were put in for the Ryder Cup in 2010, and the whole loop will be on closed roads which is pretty dam exciting and is far from a drag strip. And there will be NEG outriders I understand.
The Womenâ€™s road course is undulating on roads used by the organiser in other Welsh GPâ€™s and British championships and then has four finishing circuits as used by the men in last years Welsh GP.
The Women’s loop and profile (not as bad as it looks LoL).Â Click the photo to display a high res version
It is a finishing circuit that the men will do ten times and whilst one lap may not look that tough, at the end of a race, the legs will be feeling the miles already done. Itâ€™s a five mile circuit that goes up from Abergavenny for a couple of miles before descending for a few miles into the finish. A late attack on the climb and full gas downhillâ€¦ it may not come to a sprint.
The final course I want to introduce more than anything is the Menâ€™s opening 100k loop. No, it doesnâ€™t go up the Tumble like the Sportive does or like the championships have in the past. Instead, it takes the road to Usk like it has before and then turns right to head towards Newport.
It is at Newport and the Celtic Manor service roads that the course will have its Welsh â€˜Bergâ€™ which could see the field split if the riders want to race it hard. Some dual carriageway follows on the way to Chepstow where the Elite Series crit will be at the end of July around the Castle.
The Men’s road race loop and profile.Â Click the photo to display a high res version
The roads back to Abergavenny, via Chepstow and the centre of Monmouth are said to be very lumpy and even take the riders back into England for a short spell! It is such a tough loop that itâ€™s expected that it will be quite a select group that makes it back into Abergavenny for the finishing loops where there will be fireworks on that finishing circuit in the fight for the stripes.
As ever, itâ€™s the riders that will make the race, not the course but for sure, this course does sound quite interesting and challenging and it will be good to go back to Celtic Manor, home of many championship battles a few years ago now and a Womenâ€™s World Cup Road Race.
The scene in 2009 and Peter Kennaugh and Kristian House fight out the title
Time trial course and profile.Â Click the photo to display a high res version
The British Cycling Time Trial Championships Thursday 26th June 2014
Women and under 23 men, 14:00-15:30 to complete one lap of a 20klm circuit.
Elite Men Start 18:30-21:00 to complete two laps of the 20klm circuit
Start outside the front of the Celtic Manor Hotel, turn right up Coldra Wood Drive and left on Cats Ash Road. Turn Left into Abernant Road and right onto Old Usk Rd to cross the River Usk and past the Newbridge on Usk Hotel.
Through Tredunoc and on to the Usk Caerleon road to turn left at the Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel in the direction of Caerleon.
Turn left into the Celtic Manor Resort across the River Usk on the Ryder Cup Bridge, crossing the Bulmore Road and onto the climb past the 2010 club house. Through the underpass of Cats Ash Road and across the Roman Road Golf Course to finish outside the hotel.
Presentations of the medals and winners jersey will be made immediately after the events on the podium at the finish outside the Hotel entrance
The British Cycling Womenâ€™s National Road Race Championship Sunday 29th June 2014
Start 09:00 Frogmore Street Abergavenny
Neutralized through Abergavenny to the B4598 Usk Rd and the official 0.00klm start. Through Usk and onto the old Monmouth Rd. to Raglan and on to Mitchel Troy.
Enter Monmouth and through the old Town Arch Monow Bridge and up the main shopping street of Monmouth. Turn left on the Hereford Rd. through Welsh Newton to turn left on the old Ross Rd. direction of Abergavenny.
Returning to Abergavenny via Skenfrith and Cross Ash. Through the Town Centre and past the finish line to start the first of four laps of the 8klm circuit taking in the Mardy and Llantilio Pertholey and returning to Abergavenny for a total of 101klm â€“ 63miles
The British Cycling Elite Menâ€™s National Road Race Championship Sunday 29th June 2014
Start 13:00 Frogmore Street Abergavenny
Neutralized through Abergavenny to the B4598 Usk Rd and the official 0.00klm start.
Through Usk and onto the Caerleon Road, turn left into the Celtic Manor Resort across the River Usk on the Ryder Cup Bridge, crossing the Bulmore Road and onto the climb past the 2010 club house.
Through the underpass of Cats Ash Road and across the Roman Road Golf Course past the hotel. Turn right up Coldra Wood Drive and left on Cats Ash Road, turn right to take you to the A48 and onto Chepstow Town Centre.
Left at the town arch and past the Race Course and into the Wye Valley to Tintern Parva. Climb out of the Wye Valley and onto Trellech before descending into Monmouth and through the old Town Arch Monow Bridge and up the main shopping street of Monmouth.
Turn left on the Hereford Rd. through Welsh Newton to turn left on the old Ross Rd. direction of Abergavenny. Returning to Abergavenny via Skenfrith and Cross Ash. Through the Town Centre and past the finish line to start the first of Ten laps of the 8klm circuit taking in the Mardy and Llantilio Pertholey and returning to Abergavenny for a total of 186klm-116miles.
Presentations of the medals and winners jersey will be made immediately after the events on the podium at the finish.Â
Other Results on VeloUK (including reports containing results)
- Result: Seacroft Wheelers Road Races
- Result: Preston Park Races 6
- Result: SERRL Road Races
- Result: Rhos on Sea Spring Series 2
- Result: Bristol Women’s Road Race
- Report: Sam Walton Trophy
- Result: Cramlington CC 18
- Result: Teesdale CRC Sporting 21
- Result: Tricycle Association NW Trikes TT
- Top 10: Fenwick Masters Road Race
- Result: Manchester BC/Wills Wheels CC two stage RR
- Result: First Manchester Regional Track League
- Report: Tour of Taiwan Stage 2
- Result: MK Bowl March Races 4
- Result: Ythan Valley 2017 APR
- Result: Scorpion CS Road Race
- Result: 2017 Western Time Trials Association Hilly Time Trial
- Result: Coalville Wheelers CC Open 10
- Results: Youth National Series
- Valverde Dominates Catalyuna with third stage win
- Result: Ilkley CC Sporting 10
- Result: Common Lane Occasionals Sporting 17
- Report/Result: Gent Wevelgem
- Result: Rhino Velo Race Team Hilly 21
- Result: Border City Whs Sporting 20
- Top 10: Southern Counties CU 10, Saturday
- Top 10: Southern Counties CU 25
- Top 10: Plomesgate CC 10 TT
- Result: Hillingdon Saturday Crit Series 2
- Result: CTT Classic TT Series – Wessex
- Result: Full Gas VeloPark Crits
- Result: VC Sevale Open 10
- Result: Cardiff Ajax CC 10
- Report/Result: Volta Catalunya Stage 6
- Result: Bristol Uni CC Open 10
- Result: Reivers RR (2/3/4)
- Result: Reivers Road Race
- Report/Result: Ipswich Spring Scramble
- Result: Crewe Clarion Wheelers CC 15
- Report: E3 Harelbeke
Other News on VeloUK
- News: Klondike Grand Prix
- Q & A: Cleethorpes Super Prix Organiser Richard Stoodley
- Womens Teams for Tour Series Named
- Kittel to Race Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde
- Report: Tour of Taiwan Stage 2
- News: CiCle Classic Getting Popular
- News: Storey Racing Team Launch
- News: Quickstep to E3 Harelbeke
- News: Belgian CX Project
- News: Onimpex Bioracer SpoCo TT Series
- News: Aberystwyth Crits 2017
- Report: Dwars Door Vlaanderen
- Feature: Bioracer Aero Virtual Wind Tunnel
- Preview: Classic Time Trial Series 1
- Team News: Contador Happy with TTT
- News: Van Avermaet Back Home to Race
- Teams Revealed for Tour de Yorkshire
- Team Bikes: Madison Genesis
- Feature: Glenn Longland signs Golden Book
- Team News: Madison Genesis at Normandy
- Team News: Quickstep to Catalunya
- On Now: Milan San Remo
- News: 2017 ORRO Tour of Sussex
- News: Carthy rides Catalunya for Cannondale Drapac
- The story behind ‘THRE Datawolves Racing Team’
- Feature: MSR ‘race of many outcomes’
- Starts Today: Mallorca Six Day
- News: Racing on the road
- News: Van Avermaet Targets Milan-SanRemo Podium
- News: Quickstep for Milano-Sanremo
- News: Shropshire team put in the miles
- News: New Team in Hertfordshire
- This Weekend: 58th Wally Gimber Trophy
- Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 6
- News: The Final Paris-Nice GC Battle
- Team News: Sagan wins Stage 5 of Tirreno – Adriatico
- Paris-Nice: De La Cruz wins Final Stage
- Report & Result: Jock Wadley 2017
- News: Quintana beats Thomas to stage win at Tirreno-Adriatico
- News: Adam Yates Now 2nd on GC at Tirreno Adriatico